Classroom science assessments
Effective science assessments measure student understanding and learning of concepts. Standards-based questions should work together to create a picture of student understanding.
- Identify the important idea of the domain to select standards.
- Analyze the skills and concepts within the standards to gauge how they work together to create a learning story.
- Broad standards effect the coverage of learning measured in the test. Because of the complementary nature of science standards, it is common to see overlap and cueing across questions.
- Standards with many skills need more items or a performance task to allow students to show learning across the skills within a standard.
- Science tests easily over-burden a concept or skill. This happens often with popular or interesting concepts.