No opportunity, no learning
Students will learn what they have a chance to learn.
Actual instruction matches intended instruction
Learning expectations should match actual instruction. Achieve learning goals with planned opportunities matching the intended learning outcome.
Set learning outcomes, and focus instruction on providing opportunities to learn.
Simplify plans and outcomes
- Set goals and outcomes based on learning needs and gaps in a learning progression
- Plan instruction and student work product to match expected learning
- Implement instructional opportunities
- Use formative assessment to measure and analyze student work
- Provide feedback to improve learning opportunities and direct student work effort
- Intervene or reteach based on student performance
- Administer summative and formative assessments to decide new outcomes in the learning progression
Focus at team or grade level
Every team should take steps to improve their effectiveness of instruction.
Consistently look inward and manage things that impact your classrooms.
Closely examine instructional practice in the classroom
Identify strengths and weaknesses based on constant examination
- Build off strengths, and shore up a weakness
- Decide on gaps that need to change or be left alone due to a lack of importance
- Create a formative assessment model that supports learning
Forward moving lesson and assessment design
- Look at the details of successful lessons to replicate in the future
- Constant short term wins help student and teach morale
- Build off short-term wins to support the long term strategy
- Read and write purposefully in the classroom daily
Intervene only for essential student learning needs, not just for test score increases
Model learning and expect independence
- Build internal expertise to create a more powerful, effective team
Source: Results Now
Schmoker, Michael J. Results Now: How We Can Achieve Unprecedented Improvements in Teaching and Learning. Alexandria, Va: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, 2006. Print.